For the computer forensics project I decided to use Kylie Jenner’s official website as my topic. Her site, www.thekyliejenner.com, is a very modern, well-managed website that features information about her and her businesses. I chose to use Kylie’s website for this project because I know how important her online presence is to her business. She has her own line of beauty products in addition to being a model and a t.v. personality. Many of her sales occur online, and it is essential that her website is kept current and hip. I was interested to see who managed her website because it is such a large part of her business.
- I did a who.is search on http://www.thekyliejenner.com. The results to this search can be found here https://who.is/whois/thekyliejenner.com.
- Domains By Proxy, LLC owns the domain name.
- The registrant’s address is 14747 N Northsight Blvd Suite 111, PMB 309, Scottsdale, AZ 85260. A map of this location can be viewed at https://www.mapquest.com/search/results?query=14747%20N%20Northsight%20Blvd%20Suite%20111,%20Scottsdale,%20AZ%20&boundingBox=49.095452162534826,-127.57324218750001,25.12539261151203,-65.126953125&page=0
- The domain name was registered 07/13/2015 and the registration expires 07/13/2017.
- The IP address of the computer that hosts the site is IP: 188.8.131.52
- According to infosniper this computer is located in Seattle, WA. The map for this location can be seen at http://www.infosniper.net/index.php?ip_address=184.108.40.206&map_source=1&overview_map=1&lang=1&map_type=1&zoom_level=7
After doing this search about Kylie’s official website, I learned quite a bit about how her online presence is managed. I knew that she wouldn’t be the one doing most of the work with her website, but I assumed that she would be the sole owner of the site. However, I learned that she is not the owner and isn’t even listed as the registrant for the site. It was interesting for me to see that the company that runs her site is not even based in California, which is where she spends most of her time. This leads me to believe that she does not even have any input on the website on a daily basis and that outside company makes most of the choices for her. I learned that this is probably the case for most celebrities. They have websites because it is essential for them to stay relevant in today’s online world, but they usually don’t play a large role in the creation or maintenance of those sites. I feel like I have a whole new understanding of how popular websites are managed and I think it’s interesting that there are companies whose sole focus is to create and run other people’s websites. I also learned how to use online research tools such as who.is.com and infosniper. I had never heard of these sites before this project.
It is important for communications professionals to understand how website maintenance works in today’s world. Oftentimes, website creation is a very integral part of a company’s infrastructure and communications professionals might end up being the ones who manage them in order to manage the company’s overall public perception. This type of technology is especially important for public relations professionals because they specialize in managing public perceptions.